Monday, December 3, 2018

Deenie, by Judy Blume Part 2

The second part of this book was very well written and I love how Judy Blume makes it seem as if I am reading through the mind of a teenage girl. However I enjoyed the first part to this book  more than thew second. In the second part it was  about repetitive and it ended very randomly. I believe that I did not enjoy the last parts of the book because it was cut short, but I have to remind myself that it was written for adolescents. The ending was not full of depth and meaning like I had hoped, but Judy Blume was writing for a much younger audience. Looking at this book in that context, I feel that there is a lot to be learned about my single story. This girl is in the most awkward stages of a girls life...puberty. Then on top of that she is told she has scoliosis and has to wear a giant brace for a few years. I really empathized with her, which gave me this idea. I thought long and hard about empathy vs sympathy and what that means. Sympathy in my opinion is derived from pity. People who have disabilities seldom want pity. I believe that one thing I have learned throughout reading my books for my single story is that empathy is so important. Having empathy for others, especially people who struggle with disabilities could make people be a lot more understanding and kind. I will admit that sometimes I don't put in the effort to empathize with people as much as I should but after reading these books I see differently.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Single Story Digital Narrative Reflection

Link to my video:  I loved this project. Doing a video project has actually become enjoyable for me because I feel confident in making a v...