Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Deenie by Judy Blume, Response 1

I have always loved Judy Blume. I read her books often when I was a pre-teen. This book is about a girl named Deenie. She is under constant pressure from her mother to become a model. Her mother thinks that she is extremely beautiful, which she is, but there is always something wrong with her posture. After going to several modeling agencies, Deenie is always told how beautiful she is but she just does not walk correctly. Her mother is constantly blaming her for not trying to stand up straighter, and Deenie swears up and down that she can not help it. After trying out for the cheer leading team and not making it, one of Deenie's teachers notices that she is walking weird and pulls her in her office to examine her. The teacher calls Deenie's parents and tells them that Deenie needs to see a doctor. After a few doctors visits, Deenie is diagnosed with scoliosis. Scoliosis is a spine deformity which either causes the spine to curve like a C or an S. It is usually noticed during the growth spurts of puberty. Deenie's mom is devastated and claims that the doctors are wrong. It seems as though her mom is not devastated because her daughter might have to get surgery and go through pain, but rather she is upset because Deenie won't be able to model. I think in looking at my single story this is a very interesting physical ailment. Scoliosis is only debilitating when not taken care of early. In Deenie's case, she is lucky because it was caught early and there are many things that can be done to fix it, yet her mother is still freaking out. This goes along with my single story because it is that constant idea that people who have "deformities" or disabilities are automatically seen as being unable to have a full quality of life. People are constantly jumping to that conclusion. Deenie's mother said when she found out her daughters diagnosis said, "So you're telling me my daughter is deformed?". I can't imagine being Deenie in this situation. She seems as if she just wants her parents to help her but they are more concerned on placing blame on someone. That is another thing I have discovered in my reading, most people always want someone to blame for their disability or their family members disability, but why?

2 comments:

  1. Deenie's Mom sounds horrible. I've been really interested in my reading in how families react to those they love having depression (which is my single story). I like the question you pose at the end of your post. In the books I've been reading, I have also noticed that people want there to be something/someone to blame for depression. I think that's a mistake in itself because the word "blame" has a negative connotation and doesn't need to be associated with disability and depression.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot imagine being in Deenie's shoes. I would imagine the mother does feel maybe some 'guilt' as she may see it as her fault, but the fact that she isn't supportive and punishes Deenie for it breaks my heart. I feel that society tends to think that bullying (for any reason) only comes from peers when really it can come from anyone, including family members. And that is when it hurts the most. I really hope this book ends well.

    ReplyDelete

Single Story Digital Narrative Reflection

Link to my video:  I loved this project. Doing a video project has actually become enjoyable for me because I feel confident in making a v...