Thursday, August 30, 2018

Lessons from History: Teaching with Technology in 100 Years of English Journal Response

I have always shied away from technology. When I would see people reading off of eReaders, Kindles, eBooks etc, I would always become upset. To me, there is nothing better than holding a book in your hands, and being able to physically turn the pages of a book. Or the smell of a book that hasn't been opened in awhile, is a scent that always takes me back to the my childhood library where I first fell in love with English. Those are all things that you can't get when reading off of an electronic device. I will always prefer reading an actual book rather than an electronic one, but after reading this article I can see where technology is going to be very important to incorporate into my future classroom. There were many good points made in this article that I had not even thought of before reading it. Technology in some way has been incorporated into teaching English for awhile now. I never really thought of that because the radio isn't new technology to me, but when it was first invented, well it was their equivalent of a new iPhone launch. Teachers used this new technology to engage their students in what they were learning, just as in my eleven year old sisters classroom, iPads are being used. A quote from this article really stood out to me. It reads, "English teachers too often continue to be stereotyped as conservative traditionalists com-mitted solely to musty books and antique inkwells."and that made me think of the TED talk we watched in class, and it would be a shame if English teachers were limited to a single story.

4 comments:

  1. I find that it is always better to actually have a book in hand, but I also believe that technology is a great way to encourage students to feel connected to the work they are doing. The article definitely highlights a lot of points on what makes technology helpful and how teachers themselves have turned their backs to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also prefer books to eReaders myself, but I'm realizing that probably a large part of the reason that we all feel this way is because we grew up in a time where we only had physical books. The students we will be teaching will have grown up with eReaders being just as, if not more prominent than actual books. Because of this, while I do agree that technology is very useful in helping students to engage with a text, I don't think that it would be possible to avoid using technology even if we wanted to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely loved your last few lines. That was something that I did not even connect and I agree that it would be a shame to have English teachers have a single story like that. Even though I prefer a physical copy of a novel, my future students may not so I will have to adjust to that type of change. As Kaitlin stated above me, it is really not possible to avoid using technology in our future classrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love my ereader. I love physical books. Can we have a both/and world instead of an either/or one? I'm older than you and your future students, but I love being able to check out a new release from the library when I have insomnia. Part of the power of this article, in addition to thinking about the actual use of technology, is how we use it. What struck you?

    ReplyDelete

Single Story Digital Narrative Reflection

Link to my video:  I loved this project. Doing a video project has actually become enjoyable for me because I feel confident in making a v...