Monday, September 10, 2018

My Single Story and Possible Books

I am choosing to do my singe story on children/adolescents who struggle with physical disabilities. I had wanted to do the entire spectrum of disabilities, but realized that it was way too broad and that I needed to narrow it down. I chose physical disabilities because I feel like there are many different ways that a character can react to having and living with a physical disability. Also, I feel that there are many assumptions that are made towards people with physical disabilities. I am guilty of assuming that their quality of life isn't as good as someone who isn't living with a physical disability, but I feel that reading these books will make it easy to see that, that is not the case. I am hoping to learn about how people with physical disabilities live their day to day lives. I am also hoping to learn what struggles they face so it is easier to empathize with them. Also, I would like to gain a better understanding about physical disabilities in general. I feel that I don't know as much as I should and knowing more could possibly help me when I am a future teacher. Some books that I am considering are,


  1. Wonder by R.J. Palacio
  2. Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman
  3. The Running Dream by Wendelin Van Draanen
  4. Girl Stolen by April Henry
  5. Ugly by Robert Hoge
  6. Deenie by Judy Bloom
  7. Don’t Stop The Music by Robert Perske
  8. Shark Girl by Kelly Bingham


1 comment:

  1. I really appreciate how you are able to explain your own assumptions about people with disabilities. It will be useful for you to work through this literature and see what you discover both about how people live and what the rich, vibrant parts of their lives are.

    ReplyDelete

Single Story Digital Narrative Reflection

Link to my video:  I loved this project. Doing a video project has actually become enjoyable for me because I feel confident in making a v...